There is a certain happiness sighted when your bus comes along. It is of course a small specialized form of happiness and will never be a great thing.

-Richard Brautigan, The Old Bus

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Transitarian May Day Celebration

Happy Transitarian May Day. On this first day of the new month I pause to consider my progress.

It seems like much longer than three months since I stopped driving my car to work and started leaving the driving to Sacramento Regional Transit. (Is "leave the driving to us" still the motto of Greyhound?) The key to riding transit, I have found, is to establish a comfortable rhythm. When riding transit is new, worries about meeting connections and such nag at you. Experience is required in order to become comfortable.

Last week's experiment with a new start time and new connections was a good example. Then today the "uncontrollable factor" kicked in -- a four car pileup on the J Street bridge over the American River. Unlike my experience in February, the bus was able to work its way through the accident scene, but we were significantly delayed. When we arrived at Sacramento State two 30 buses (well, one bus without a rear sign and another with a 30 showing) were waiting at the curb. As I got off the 82 bus, first one and then the other 30 bus pulled away before I had a chance to board. Fortunately for me, the 82 bus driver was delayed talking to a rider and I was able to re-board the bus and ride to the end of the line and take light rail to work.

The life of a transitarian: Best when boring, better yet when the unexpected can be easily accommodated.

And speaking of transitarian, I am proud to acknowledge Google's discovery that this blog is the preeminent authority of transitarian thought.

In order to better explain the relationship between cows, vegetarians, fruitarians and transitarians, I offer this video of Douglass Adams reading from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:



No comments: