There is a certain happiness sighted when your bus comes along. It is of course a small specialized form of happiness and will never be a great thing.

-Richard Brautigan, The Old Bus

Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Back to the future

Ever on the lookout for further evidence of the great value of the Transitarian Diet, I was amused to read The Bee's story in the Business section today about the new vogue of building homes with detached garages. The photo caption explained:

Builders and civic officials hope the arrangement will boost home affordability and encourage more walking.
I suppose walking from the garage to the house would constitute "more walking," but judging from the photo we're still talking about communities that require two-car garages.

For 14 years, I lived in a Sacramento County development built in the mid- to late-1940s for workers at what was then McClellan Air Force Base. My house, like most in the neighborhood, had two bedrooms and one bath when it was built. All of the homes came with an attached one-car garage.

Today, as I ride light rail along the R Street corridor and as I walk around midtown, I pass a number of new condo projects that feature units with one car garages. It's back to the future.

Before I became a transitarian, I would never have considered a house with a single-car garage. Now, it seems like a no-brainer.

No comments: