There is a certain happiness sighted when your bus comes along. It is of course a small specialized form of happiness and will never be a great thing.

-Richard Brautigan, The Old Bus

Friday, July 11, 2008

Live blogging from Panera Bread on Chipotle night

Of all the places where I have used free wi-fi, nothing compares to the Panera Bread shop, at least the new store at 3328 El Camino. Every booth and table that touches a wall has a power outlet. Somebody was really thinking when they designed this place.

I'm here waiting for the wife. Friday is Chipotle night. It's been a tradition that predates the wife's conversion to a transitarian lifestyle. During her early transitarian days, she would ride the bus home, and then drive to Chipotle. Then Chipotle built a store at the other end of the building from Panera Bread. Now she gets off at the Butano and Sam's Club stop, walks to Chipotle, picks up a to-go order and then walks to Watt and El Camino in time to catch the next No. 82 home -- an edible transitarian adventure.

While I'm waiting I'm checking my "jobs" lists. Both Monster and CareerBuilder send me e-mails alerting me to job postings that meet my general interests and experience. I've sent off two, three, sometimes more, résumés and cover letters every day in response to Monster and CareerBuilder's suggestions. In the days since June 16, when I learned that I was going to be laid off, I've submitted dozens of applications.

It's amazing how the system works. I would have never imagined that more than 28 years in newspapers, a decade building Web sites and all of my various interests could be so aptly summarized in today's top job recommendation from CareerBuilder:

WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT PLANNER/DESIGNER

No comments: