There is a certain happiness sighted when your bus comes along. It is of course a small specialized form of happiness and will never be a great thing.

-Richard Brautigan, The Old Bus

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Another reason to ride the bus

I was heading downtown yesterday to buy the wife's July pass and then head back out to meet her at 65th Street. I've got to go somewhere to get my reading time in. I miss the regular commute.

Behind me in the bus was a woman completing some sort of business call, perhaps a sales call. Listening in I was reminded that July 1 marked the start of new law that says drivers must be 18 years old to use a cell phone while driving. In addition, drivers can't hold the phone while driving. There's no grace period. The fine is $20 for the first offense and up to $50 for subsequent convictions.

The woman behind me wasn't the only passenger using the time on the bus to keep in touch. Another woman in the front spent nearly the entire ride with her phone held to her ear.

So again the bus is better than driving alone. It's cheaper. You can read while you travel. And, now, you can legally chat on the phone, no matter your age.

No comments: