There is a certain happiness sighted when your bus comes along. It is of course a small specialized form of happiness and will never be a great thing.

-Richard Brautigan, The Old Bus

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Mulled on the bus

The bus groaned to a stop and the doors hissed open. The bus driver greeted me with a hearty guffaw.

"In that Hawaiian shirt you look just like Martin Mull," he laughed.

I took it as a compliment.

Yesterday I boarded the bus wearing one black shoe and one brown shoe. No one noticed. At least no one let me know they noticed. I got all the way until 2 p.m. before even I noticed. That cost me $25, the price of getting the kid to drive out to my office with one shoe. "No," I told him. "It doesn't matter which one." He brought the black shoe.

I was sure to look at my shoes several times this morning before getting on the bus, but I completely missed the Martin Mull look.

Yesterday, a member of the sea of anonymous visitors to this blog commented on my profile picture.

I like your blog and applaud your civic-mindedness in writing it, but geez Louise, you need to get a better picture of yourself dude! The one you have makes you look like a cross between E.T. and a turtle. I'm sure you're much handsomer than that!

To which I felt compelled to reply: OK, now you've insulted my kid. (See this post.)

Since the kid did that drawing, I've grown the beard back. Just couldn't stand the nakedness. I considered going back to the Simpson's look but decided to go au naturale. One of the nice things about the Internet and blogging is that you can pretend to be just about anyone -- even yourself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So remember earlier times..when watching the Tonight Show was a real treat, Johnny Carson was so good as host. And we each had our favorite guests, one of mine was...Martin Mull. So one day a bus rider is standing at a stop, a 'dead ringer' for MM. And then I soon learn, this rider works with words....it so reminds me of MM sauntering out to delight Johnny and us with another tale of life...well it just tickles my soul. So now whenever I see the transitarian, I'm just about giggling inside...it's just one of those few little delights that gets this operator through another workday with a smile on my face. Good luck with the challenges.