There is a certain happiness sighted when your bus comes along. It is of course a small specialized form of happiness and will never be a great thing.

-Richard Brautigan, The Old Bus

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Computers will do that

Last week, a bus arrived at Sacramento State with No. 88 on the side and the route summary for the No. 88 on the front. Two co-eds with backpacks asked the driver if the bus was going to the Amtrak station. I was about to tell them they wanted the No. 30 bus when I heard the driver tell them he was going to the station. The two co-eds boarded the bus.

I walked over to the bus, and the driver explained that this was the No. 30 bus. I pointed out that both the front and side signs said this was the No. 88.

"Computer will do that," he explained.

I had been waiting for the No. 30 bus and if the two young women looking for the Amtrak station had not tipped me off, I would have missed the bus.

This all comes to mind because I was researching getting to American River Drive when the infoweb.sacrt.com coughed up this helpful suggestion:

Computers will do that, I thought.

2 comments:

Paul said...

Gotta love that attitude among drivers, that kind of "oh well". I get tired of it and have had to complain to RT (CAD@sacrt.com) multiple times because of driver's attitudes.

Unknown said...

In defense of the driver (playing devil's advocate), the driver was working on "fixing" the computer problem. By the time I got off the bus it had the correct route info.