There is a certain happiness sighted when your bus comes along. It is of course a small specialized form of happiness and will never be a great thing.

-Richard Brautigan, The Old Bus

Monday, February 12, 2007

Things to do on the bus

Back in the day. That's how my teenage son describes the historical events. Say, back in the day before iPods. These are time perspectives severely constrained by the speaker's experience.

So, I begin this post with the observation that, back in the day when I would climb into my car and join the lemmings on my daily commute, I would marvel at the women who could use the brief stops and starts of commute traffic to apply makeup. When you consider the requirements of success, it all seems too dangerous to risk in traffic.

On the bus today I watched a young woman perform the feat of applying mascara, complete with application of eyelash curling appliance, while the bus bumped along its route. Not only did she successfully finish the job without poking her eye out, but the results were quite presentable.

Were I to try to trim my beard on a moving bus I am certain the results would at best be described as weird.

No comments: