There is a certain happiness sighted when your bus comes along. It is of course a small specialized form of happiness and will never be a great thing.

-Richard Brautigan, The Old Bus

Sunday, February 4, 2007

Old bus riders

It's the weekend and I'm wondering what to do with my new bus pass. After all, the more you use it, the more valuable it becomes. It occurred to me that there is a Strings Restaurant and a Dos Coyotes (not to mention a Starbucks) near the 65th Street light rail station. That would be an excellent weekend outing: 40 minute bus ride, an hour (or a little less) for dinner and then the bus back.

"Hey," I said to the wife, "let's take the bus to Strings or Dos Coyotes across from the 65th Street light rail station."

"Gee, that sounds like something old people do," she said.

OK. How do you respond to that? That's like the question, "Does this dress make me look fat?"

So I took a walk -- 2 miles each way -- and enjoyed the exercise. I can walk for an hour and a half with little difficulty, but when I try to use a treadmill I die of boredom in less than an hour.

No comments: