There is a certain happiness sighted when your bus comes along. It is of course a small specialized form of happiness and will never be a great thing.

-Richard Brautigan, The Old Bus

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Where's John?

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. That's at least how things look from this side.

I raced to Florida to watch my father die on Jan. 10 and then returned immediately to work. By the end of last week, my nifty full-time job had been transformed into a part-time gig. If I have a job at all. I won't know until next week.

So I'm reworking the resume. I'm building a Flash animation demonstration site to show off my skillz (old dog's new tricks) and scouring craigslist for ideas. It doesn't leave much time for blogging.

It's not that I'm without hope. When stuff happens, I distract myself. Yesterday, I turned in the cable boxes and the DVR. Tonight, I'm sitting in a recliner in the family room typing on my laptop. The wife is in another recliner watching Obama's inaugural address streaming on her laptop. When I finish here I'll get back to work on my Flash site and another project I'm working on for a customer of my little home-based web development company.

Eventually I'll get back on the bus and I'm sure I'll have more to say. But for now, I need to focus on other stuff.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why flash? I'm sure it has some merit, but it feels like more often than not it is used for fluffy stuff and not much for good content.

Unknown said...

I took a class in Flash last semester at ARC because a lot of employers are looking for people who do Flash. This semester I'm taking a class in InDesign, Adobe's successor to Pagemaker. I saw an ad the other day looking for someone with InDesign knowledge. Flash, InDesign, PHP and mySQL scripting -- they're all arrows for the quiver. You never know which arrow will bring down the job.

As for Flash being fluffy stuff, I can recall when monochrome monitors were the norm and 16-color monitors all the rage. My boss at the time, Peter Schrag, asked me to pick out a personal computer for him. He insisted on a monochrome monitor despite my recommendation. Of course, that was long before the World Wide Web, back when the Internet was just 8-bit plain ASCII text.

Just as the World Wide Web expanded the idea of the Internet, Flash and the many video and animated offshoots have again expanded the Internet. Being able to create this new stuff can only help my job search.