There is a certain happiness sighted when your bus comes along. It is of course a small specialized form of happiness and will never be a great thing.

-Richard Brautigan, The Old Bus

Monday, January 12, 2009

San Francisco's example

The San Francisco StreetsBlog Web site has a discussion with District 3 San Francisco Supervisor and newly-elected Board President David Chiu. Will Sacramento ever have a supervisor who can be introduced with these words:

Supervisor David Chiu doesn't own a car and walks, bikes and takes public transportation.
I can't even imagine a day when Sacramento Regional Transit has a director with those credentials. You can't even get them to make a commitment to ride transit just one day a week.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I hate to ask this of you, but it's all for the good of public transportation. Do you remember The Bee editorial about the 50-employee-or-more law and equitable reimbursement for those taking public transportation or being offered parking? You might have blogged about it also, but this is probably going back to October 07. Thank you.

Unknown said...

I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. I believe this is the editorial you are referring to:

Transit and Parking, Nov. 25, 2007

Unknown said...

Don't apologize, please. Thank you for keeping up your blog, while facing so many difficulties and losses. And thank you for digging up this editorial - it might lead to making the transportation options at my job more equitable. Unfortunately I missed a step the other day on my stairs at home and have a fifth metatarsal fracture. Fortunately I have a lot of sick leave, but without family (retired parents and in-laws in this case) it would have been nearly impossible on Monday to get to the doctor's office, the x-ray office, the office to get the walking cast-shoe, and back to the doctor's office for a check-up. Most of my friends have full-time jobs, and my husband, who also works full-time, has some of his own health issues. Cabs would have been my fall-back I guess - everything was within about a seven-mile radius. Since my usual mode of transportation to my job is a mile walk to the bus, I'll be at home an extra week or receive special temporary parking privileges. It's a shorter walk to the bus that goes to the light-rail station, but there's no way I can make that run to catch the trains, which you've blogged about, and I've actually experienced. What I need is a guide to healthy restaurants that provide delivery, grocery delivery services, alternative transportation services, small businesses that run errands. And of course one of those new J St. townhouses, which includes elevators, and is a door step away from the bus stop.