There is a certain happiness sighted when your bus comes along. It is of course a small specialized form of happiness and will never be a great thing.

-Richard Brautigan, The Old Bus

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Bus bike racks -- the musical



This video has been making the rounds. I saw it the other day on Streetsblog. It reminded me that I wanted to blog about a theft I read about recently. Someone had placed their bike on a bus rack and boarded the bus. Sometime during the trip, someone stole the bike off the rack. I remember that Sacramento Regional Transit was quoted as saying you can't lock your bike to the rack on the bus. Instead, the spokesman suggested locking the bike's wheel so that it can't be ridden if it is taken off the bus.

So now I can't find the story. There's only a couple of places I would have come across a story like that, including sacbee.com, but I can't find it now. I've tried Googling all sorts of combinations. I remember that the story made specific mention of the fact that it was an expensive bike that was stolen.

I'm beginning to think maybe I dreamed it. I've been thinking of doing more bike riding as an alternative to driving for errands that don't involve more than one shopping bag. With only two slots for bikes on buses, you're not exactly guaranteed to get a ride.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.kcra.com/news/18200403/detail.html

"A bike that cost more than $1,400 was stolen at the 65th Street light rail station while the owner was getting on a bus."

"Regional Transit officials said that to prevent such thefts from happening, cyclists should lock the bike wheel to the frame of the bike."

What the news story did not tell is that the bike owner NEVER filed a police report before taking his story to the media. Hmmmmm.