There is a certain happiness sighted when your bus comes along. It is of course a small specialized form of happiness and will never be a great thing.

-Richard Brautigan, The Old Bus

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Hope and life

UPDATE: After I published this blog post Trevor's mother announced that Trevor had died this morning at 8 a.m.



On April 4 I posted a story about Trevor Kott and his need to find a life-saving bone marrow donor. Now it appears Trevor won't make it.

I don't know what to say.

I couldn't be a bone marrow donor and therefore couldn't be tested, but I donated the $52 cost and convinced the wife to have the test. I was able to encourage another blogger to post about Trevor's plight and she was tested. Perhaps others joined the bone marrow registry.

I wanted to do more.

People can still join the National Marrow Donor Program and get a cheek swab test. The cost is $52 per test. There are programs available to defray the cost.

Maybe another child will benefit.

Each day, my bus goes by the Morse Avenue Kaiser Hospital where the doctors did what they could for Trevor. I've never met Angela and Bob Kott, Trevor's parents. But the picture of their son captured me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, I subscribe to the parents' blog at caringbridge. and added the note at the top of the post when Trevor's mom announced that her son had died at 8 a.m.

My grandmother's first child was a daughter. She was apparently everything to her. Shortly after my father was born, his sister died. My grandmother never recovered from her loss, her husband became an alcoholic and I ended up with my father.

The Kotts have two daughters. They need their parents now.