There is a certain happiness sighted when your bus comes along. It is of course a small specialized form of happiness and will never be a great thing.

-Richard Brautigan, The Old Bus

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Who speaks for riders?

Today, I received a response from Sacramento Regional Transit to my "Bus Driver Appreciation Day" post. I had sent a copy of the post to RT's "Customer Advocacy" e-mail address CAD@sacrt.com.

Thank you for contacting Regional Transit, it is always a pleasure to receive favorable comments from our satisfied customers. A commendation has been filed for bus operator for route 82. We at Regional Transit are continually striving to provide the best service for our passengers.

Sincerely,

Robert H. Beverly
Customer Advocacy
Sacramento Regional Transit District
916.557.4545
916.456.1752 fax
Looking at Mr. Beverly's title, "Customer Advocacy," I was reminded on something that I had been wondering about. So, I replied to his e-mail and asked:

Is there an independent organization in Sacramento Regional Transit's service area that represents the riders? If so, can you provide any contact info for the group?
I apparently wasn't clear in my question because the response I got back said:

The bus operators are represented by the Amalgamated Transit Union local 256, I don't have a contact name or number.

Robert H. Beverly
Customer Advocacy
Sacramento Regional Transit District
916.557.4545
916.456.1752 fax

So I tried again:

You misunderstood my question.

Do the RIDERS who use Sacramento Regional Transit have an independent organization that represents their interest?

The interests of the management of RT and the interests of the employees
do not always align with the interests of the passengers. A management change in working conditions might harm passenger interests. An inflexible union contract provision may harm passenger interests. Who speaks for riders when service changes are contemplated?

Does there exist an organization of the users of the RT system that takes an active role in such discussions?
To which, Mr. Beverly responded:

Disabled riders have an independent organization to represent them. Regular passengers can voice their concerns with the elected officials who serve on the board of directors for Regional Transit. Listed below is the link to members of RT Board of Directors.

Robert H. Beverly
Customer Advocacy
Sacramento Regional Transit District
916.557.4545
916.456.1752 fax

Anyone else beside me think "regular passengers" deserve
an independent organization to represent them?

No comments: