There is a certain happiness sighted when your bus comes along. It is of course a small specialized form of happiness and will never be a great thing.

-Richard Brautigan, The Old Bus

Friday, March 9, 2007

Not news

"Pump prices flirt with $3," screamed the top story on The Bee's Business section front page today.

It took a moment to sink in. But then it dawned on me:

I

don't

care.

In fact, the higher the price of gas, the more money I'm saving by leaving my car at home. (OK, that's a lot like the wife spending $200 on Macy's sales because she saved soooo much, but you can see what I mean.)

It felt liberating to realize that no longer would gasoline pump price fluctuations torment me.

As an added bonus this morning, I amused myself by executing a successful side trip to the market on my way to work. Back when I drove to work (and it seems so long ago), I hated to stop and shop and then get to work. All of that finding a parking space, starting and stopping, always seemed such a waste.

Today, I needed some paper towels and some fruit. On the bus ride I figured that if I made the early train, I could get off at 16th Street, walk back to Safeway on 19th and R and then get to work at 21st and Q about the same time I would have arrived if the bus had not been early at 65th Street station. And, sure enough, the bus arrived just as the train was pulling into the station and my little side trip worked to perfection.

Now if only work on a Friday could be as relaxing and successful.

No comments: