There is a certain happiness sighted when your bus comes along. It is of course a small specialized form of happiness and will never be a great thing.

-Richard Brautigan, The Old Bus

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The mommie bus

Since I travel outside the morning commute hours my fellow riders are more eclectic. For instance, the bus a half-hour before my regular bus gets many more CSUS students. On the first day I rode that bus it was standing-room-only as we pulled into the campus. On my regular bus, we've never had all of the seats filled, let alone people standing in the aisle.

But we get more mommies.

When I boarded the bus today I was greeted with a soft "Hiiiii" and a wave from a little girl. The mother was a bit surprised. She and her daughter, who must be less than 2, are regular riders. This was the first time the little girl had said Hi and waved.

I waved back and said Hi and took my seat in the back of the bus.

We had just one mom today. Often we have two moms with infants too young to walk, and yesterday we had three.

In my observations, I have decided the bus-riding skills of the moms can be judged by the size of their strollers.

Our regular mom brings a very light collapsible stroller. With the baby on one hip and the diaper bag over her shoulder, she exits with ease, carrying the stroller in her free hand.

On the other hand, another semi-regular mom boards the bus with this huge collapsible stroller that she must lug behind her and wrestle into an open space on the bus before she can sit. The struggle is reversed and just as difficult when she exits. I want to introduce her to the other mom, but she gets on after the other mom gets off.

Yesterday, I sat across from a very young mom without a stroller. Exiting the bus, she had to set the baby down on the sidewalk to arrange her diaper bag and purse before setting off for Wal-Mart. As I watched her, I was hoping she was shopping for one of the very light collapsible strollers.

No comments: