There is a certain happiness sighted when your bus comes along. It is of course a small specialized form of happiness and will never be a great thing.

-Richard Brautigan, The Old Bus

Friday, September 19, 2008

Infusion and the moon



The photo is from yesterday. The wife started the second half of her chemotherapy regimen with a six-hour infusion at the University of California, Davis, Cancer Center. The wife will have three more trips to the infusion center. Those, thankfully, will be only three-hour ordeals.

The chemo appears to be having the desired effect -- the doctor reports a reduction in the size of the lump in the breast and the lump in the lymph node -- and the side effects have been manageable. This, of course, is the view of the guy who doesn't have painful open sores in his mouth or a constant feeling of fatigue and queasiness. There's something to be said for being the observer in this relationship.

Right now I'm in the St. Rose Starbucks killing time before an appointment for a haircut. I took the No. 82 from my house to the 65th Street light rail station. The bus arrived early enough to tempt me to run to catch a train that was already in the station, but Sacramento Regional Transit trains wait for no one and I was treated to the sight of the green light in the door button turning off just as I reached the door.

As the train pulled away I turned and was mooned by a woman pulling up her black panties after squatting in the nearby bushes to relieve herself. That was a first.

Anyway, I settled in for the 15-minute wait until the next inbound train arrived. I pulled out my book, but I was soon distracted by the sound of a woman yelling at someone. It took awhile to figure who was yelling since none of the usual suspects appeared to be in the vicinity. Eventually, I noticed a gray haired woman in nice clothes with a small plastic shopping bag. She was nicely dressed. Looked just like someone grandmother. But she was yelling at some people and it wasn't nice talk. One woman nearby threatened to call the police if the woman didn't tone her tirade down. That had no effect. The woman's ran nonstop until a No. 26 bus arrived and everyone else in the vicinity boarded and left the grandmother alone.

It was something of a homecoming for me. I've got a new job that doesn't fit well with Sacramento Regional Transit's limited offering. I'll explain more in another post. I have to go now to get my hair cut.

No comments: