There is a certain happiness sighted when your bus comes along. It is of course a small specialized form of happiness and will never be a great thing.

-Richard Brautigan, The Old Bus

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

'You don't make any sense'

Hat tip to beancounter for her link to the Book Quiz at Blue Pyramid. According to the quiz, I'm Ulysses by James Joyce. The quiz is spot-on:


Most people are convinced that you don't make any sense, but compared to what else you could say, what you're saying now makes tons of sense. What people do understand about you is your vulgarity, which has convinced people that you are at once brilliant and repugnant. Meanwhile you are content to wander around aimlessly, taking in the sights and sounds of the city. What you see is vast, almost limitless, and brings you additional fame. When no one is looking, you dream of being a Greek folk hero.

Of course, I must admit that I never could get through Ulysses in college. Perhaps I'll give it another try now that I have hours of time on my hands as I wander not so aimlessly on Sacramento Regional Transit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"What people do understand about you is your vulgarity, which has convinced people that you are at once brilliant and repugnant."

No journalist could ask for higher praise! ;-)

-- beancounter

Unknown said...

Thank you, thank you. So many people confuse my repugnant vulgarity with infantile absurdity and fail to see the real brilliance. Notebook at hand I scribble away in the back of the bus.